IKEA U.S. announced it has teamed up with Uber and “Oh Happy Day” to offer a special promotion – as well as tips and inspiration – for friends and loved ones planning a Friendsgiving meal this holiday season. “Friendsgiving” is a new cultural phenomenon where friends gather for a Thanksgiving meal before the actual holiday. Consumers in New York City will have an opportunity to receive a free IKEA Friendsgiving kit – including IKEA dining products, holiday ingredients and more – by using the Uber app on Saturday, November 19 from 10am-4pm ET. For those not in New York City, Jordan Ferney, expert event planner and founder of “Oh Happy Day” has tips and savvy tricks to host the perfect Friendsgiving at home.
“At IKEA, we understand that sometimes it’s a challenge to make it home for Thanksgiving. Friendsgiving is about being together with those that are like family, and the special memories that are made in the kitchen, around the dining table and over food,” said Kendra Ferguson, Media Project Manager at IKEA. “This year, we’re continuing to celebrate Life In and Around the Kitchen and the many magic moments that happen there, which is why we teamed up with Uber and ‘Oh Happy Day’ to help make Friendsgiving extra special for those celebrating.”
IKEA is partnering with Uber to bring Friendsgiving right to the doorsteps of those in New York City. On Saturday, November 19, New Yorkers will have the opportunity to request and receive delivery of a free IKEA Friendsgiving kit straight to their door by using the Uber app from 10am-4pm ET. A total of 200 lucky people who use the app to ‘flag’ down the IKEA Friendsgiving Uber will receive an all-inclusive Friendsgiving package, complete with IKEA dining products, holiday ingredients, and custom recipes to feed six friends.
New Yorkers can request the Friendsgiving kit through the Uber app* through the following steps:
- Uber riders in New York City’s 5 boroughs can open the Uber app and enter promo code IKEAFRIEND starting November 10
- Riders will be prompted again on November 19 to find the custom IKEA option in the app to request the IKEA Friendsgiving kit
- If the rider is one of the 200 lucky users connected to a car carrying an IKEA Friendsgiving kit for six, it will arrive in minutes
- Enjoy Friendsgiving!
“Thanks to our partnership with IKEA, celebrating Friendsgiving has never been easier,” said Josh Mohrer, General Manager, Uber NY. “New Yorkers know how easy it is to request a ride through the Uber app, and this Thanksgiving season, people in all five boroughs will have the opportunity to request all the fixings and necessities to host a special holiday meal at the touch of a button.”
For those not in New York City, IKEA has teamed up with Jordan Ferney, lifestyle blogger and expert event planner and founder of the design and lifestyle site ”OHHAPPYDAY” to provide essential tips and savvy tricks to host a memorable Friendsgiving at home. Jordan’s tips include:
- Make It a Potluck. Ain’t nobody got time to make a giant dinner with all the sides, so why not make it a potluck? Each of your friends can bring their own favorite dish to share with the group. This way, you can spend more time with your friends and less time cooking!
- Placecards. There is something so welcoming about having a personalized placecard at the table. Make your Friendsgiving extra special by preparing little treats or handmade tags to place at each person’s plate.
- Easy Décor. Try foraging in the yard for some “rustic” looking branches-turned centerpiece. Or take dried leaves and write things you are thankful for at each place setting in a white marker. Give your eyes something to feast on!Tradition Swap. Your friends may feel like family, but chances are they celebrate a little differently! Take this opportunity to share your favorite Thanksgiving traditions with your friends and ask them to do the same. You might even come away with some new traditions of your own!
- Mix it Up. Friendsgiving doesn’t have to be your grandma’s dinner table! Shake up your typical Thanksgiving itinerary with games, a craft, or even an uncommon surprise (like a turkey piñata!)
- Visit the IKEA Design blog HERE to view these tips – along with IKEA product suggestions – for additional inspiration to host a Friendsgiving dinner at home.