German discounter chain Aldi wins four out of 10 top positions in Good Food’s search for Australia’s best supermarket sausages. The cheapest choice in the best ten list also belongs to Aldi, for $3.69. Good Food tested as many as 36 assortments of sausages from different makers selling through four major supermarkets in Australia, including Woolsworth, Coles, IGA and Aldi. The testing authority included Good Food critics and authors.
Supermarket chain Coles bagged the top position in the chart for their Italian sausage. The All Natural Sausage Company – Italian Sausage sold for $7 was voted the best. The second position was awarded for an Italian-Style Veal and Pork Sausages with Fennel and Red Wine made for supermarket Woolworths by Jamie Oliver. Aldi’s best came on the fourth spot, just behind Coles’ Outback Spirit – Pork Sausages with Kakadu Plum and Lemon Aspen with a price tag of $5. The judges voted for Aldi citing that the supermarket has the best value sausages.
Aldi’s Brannan’s Butchery branded Pork and Apple Cider Gourmet Sausages came in at fourth on the list, while the Lamb and Rosemary Gourmet Sausages followed at fifth. Their thin sausages and juicy pork sausages rounded out the list in ninth and tenth positions respectively. The Aldi branded sausages ranged in price from $3.69 to $6.49, while Coles’ winning product was priced at $7 and Woolworths’ costing $7.99.
Good Food’s experiment included a range of beef, chicken, pork and veal sausages. They also tested vegetarian and a Kangaroo sausage, but neither finished within the top 10.
GOOD FOOD’S TOP 10 SUPERMARKET SAUSAGES
1. Coles: The All Natural Sausage Company – Italian Sausage $7
2. Woolworths: Created With Jamie -Italian-Style Veal and Pork Sausages with Fennel and Red Wine $7.99
3. Coles: Outback Spirit – Pork Sausages with Kakadu Plum and Lemon Aspen $5
4. Aldi: Brannan’s Butchery – Pork and Apple Cider Gourmet Sausages (gluten-free) $6.49
5. Aldi: Brannan’s Butchery – Lamb and Rosemary Gourmet Sausages $6.49
6. Coles Finest – RSPCA Approved Chicken $7
7. Coles Finest – Australian Angus Beef with Garlic and Parsley $7
8. Coles Sausages – Beef, Herb and Garlic $4.50
9. Aldi: Brannan’s Butchery – Thin sausages $3.69
10. Aldi: Brannan’s Butchery – Juicy Pork Sausages $3.69