Coca Cola Remains Top of Kantar Worldpanel Brand Footprint Ranking of the Most Chosen FMCG Brands
14th May 2014 – London, UK – Coca-Cola remains the world’s most chosen brand for the second year in Kantar Worldpanel’s Brand Footprint ranking. The beverages manufacturer was chosen 5.8 billion times in the last year, 124 million more times than in 2012. This 2% growth came mainly from Central America, Colombia, Germany, Ireland, Mexico, Russia and Thailand.
The Brand Footprint ranking reveals the brands that are being bought by the most people, the most often in 35 countries around the world, across the food, beverage, health and beauty and homecare sectors. The report outlines the winning strategies that most successful global FMCG brands are employing as well as key global industry trends.
The Top 10 global FMCG brands revealed by Kantar Worldpanel’s Brand Footprint study are:
Consumer Reach Points (Billion)
Frequency of purchase
Consumer Reach Points Growth % 2013 v 2012
Brand and category highlights in the Brand Footprint ranking include:
· Colgate is the most chosen health and beauty brand in the world – the world’s favourite toothpaste brand grew its reach by 3% to more than 3.6 billion Consumer Reach Points. It is the most chosen brand of its category in 18 countries and also has the largest consumer base in the world, having been purchased by 6 in 10 of global households.
· Maggi is the most chosen food brand – the Nestlé-owned brand of instant soups, stocks, sauces and noodles appealed to people’s emotions with communications focused on how much it tastes like home cooking. Its products were chosen more than 2 billion times in the last year, a growth of 4%.
· Ready to drink tea is the fastest growing FMCG category – it added 15 million new shoppers last year, a growth of 12%.
· Snacks are bought by 80% of the world’s households and continue to grow – Lay’s (No.8), Oreo (No.24), Cheetos (No.38) and Doritos (No.49) are all among the 10 fastest-rising brands within the Top 50 ranking. They excelled at gaining new shoppers as well as increasing purchase frequency with new product development, localising flavours and innovative communications.
· Oreo succeeds in China – the world’s favourite biscuit recruited 19 million shoppers in the last year, more than any other brand in the ranking. It was particularly successful in China, where it is now the No.1 biscuit brand after few years of continuous growth and investment.
· Downy is the fastest growing brand in Brand Footprint ranking – P&G’s fabric softener brand Downy grew its reach by 26%, adding 9.5 million new households to its consumer base in the last year.
Josep Montserrat, Global CEO of Kantar Worldpanel, says: “Growth is top of the agenda for all FMCG companies, but there is no single path to prosperity. They are looking for new shoppers, new occasions and new markets, and are investing in the creation of innovative new products. The Brand Footprint report highlights the opportunities that exist for every brand with global aspirations to expand its customer base. It provides an essential guide for FMCG manufacturers on their journey to increase the dominance of their brands in the world’s fastest-growing markets.”
Global Brand Footprint Project Director for Kantar Worldpanel, Virginia Garavaglia, says: “The brands in the Brand Footprint ranking are masters at making their brands matter, solving functional needs and making life easier while bringing significance to people’s lives beyond mere consumption.”